Foremost Furniture Limited – Environmental & Waste Policy
Foremost Furniture believes that businesses are responsible for achieving good environmental practice and operating in a sustainable manner.
We recognise that our activities have an impact on the environment in terms of the use of raw materials, emissions to air and water and waste generation.
We are therefore committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral and fundamental part of our business strategy and operating methods.
It is our priority to encourage our customers, suppliers and all business associates to do the same. Not only is this sound commercial sense for all; it is also a matter of delivering on our duty of care towards future generations.
Our policy is to:
- Wholly support and comply with or exceed the requirements of current environmental legislation and codes of practice
- Minimise our waste and then reuse or recycle as much of it as possible
- Minimise energy and water usage in our buildings, vehicles and processes in order to conserve supplies, and minimise our consumption of natural resources, especially where they are non-renewable
- Reduce the environmental impact of our vehicles
- Apply the principles of continuous improvement in respect of air, water, noise and light pollution from our business and reduce any impacts from our operations on the environment and local community
- Make sure all materials where possible are sourced from sustainable, renewable or recycled means and assess and monitor suppliers and subcontractors to make sure all company objectives and procedures are achieved
- As far as possible purchase products and services that do the least damage to the environment and encourage others to do the same
- Assess the environmental impact of any new processes or products we intend to introduce in advance
- Ensure that all employees understand our environmental policy and conform to the high standards it requires
- Address complaints about any breach of our Environmental Policy promptly and to the satisfaction of all concerned
- Update this Environmental Policy annually
Our internal processes to implement the key elements consist of the following:
- Disposal of waste via 5 routes:
- Hazardous solvent waste is disposed of using Cleansing Service Group Limited, an accredited hazardous waste removal company
- Wood & cardboard waste is collected by Wheeldon Brothers for recycling. Recyclable material skips are located on site. Waste transfer documentation is retained for a minimum of 3 years
- General waste is collected by ICM Waste Management for processing. One general waste skip is located on site
- Adhoc bulk waste is taken from Foremost Furniture to the Suez waste transfer and recycling centre
- Paper waste is collected and shredded by Lancashire Shredding – they supply us with certificates of destruction.
- Consignee return notes and waste transfer notes are retained for a minimum of 3 years
- Virgin timber off cuts are used for heat generation in the wood shop burner
- Wood shavings and sawdust are collected by local farmers to be used for animal bedding
- We use reconstituted foam and recycle all foam off-cuts
- Material returned to site is refurbished or reused as much as practicable to reduce the amount of waste generated
- Foremost Furniture undertakes regular monitoring of timber input in order to comply with the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010
- We undertake quarterly monitoring of solvent in order to comply with the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010
- Foremost Furniture holds a Waste Carriers Licence (Reg. No. CBDL157712)
- We operate and maintain company vehicles with due regard to environmental issues as far as reasonably practical
- Disposal of waste via 5 routes: